Top Potty Training Tips…

The exciting times of potty training!

It can seem daunting when beginning this major transition, but with a few tips you can give yourself the edge you are going to need to help your child take this important step in their life.

1) Let Them Lead

Letting your child lead the way and allowing them to signal you when it’s time for potty training, will give the whole process a less stressful approach. Telling you when they need their nappy changing is one of the main signs they are ready to start using the toilet.

2) Read Books On Potty Training

There are a lot of potty training books out there but one or two should be enough. The books will be engaging, involve a story and give the child a positive message around potty training.

3) Introduce Your Toddler To The Potty Early On

Let your child play with the potty, role playing using dolls will help your child understand what the potty is used for. When your child is then ready for potty training they will have a better understanding and may not be as frightened if they have been around it for a while beforehand.

4) Take Them To The Toilet With You

This may be difficult for some but if you can, let your child see you using the toilet. This will encourage them to use it more if they see mummy or daddy using. Let them flush the toilet for you. It will give them some responsibility and help get them interested.

5) Remind

Keep reminding them to go to the toilet. They are not used to asking to go so they may need reminding at first. Even if they don’t go every visit will get them a little more used to the toilet.

6) Congratulate

Congratulate their success. It will encourage them to carry on what they are doing.

Remember potty training doesn’t need to be scary. Keep it positive!

Share with me some of your tips below, or what worked best for you during your potty training days.

141 Shares
Share:

10 Comments

1. February 15, 2019 / 7:40 pm

These are great potty training tips! I especially like #1 and #3. I feel like it is way less stressful if they are ready and interested instead of pushing them too early and if they are role playing with their doll they are understanding the concept.

• Dani Shuttleworth
      Author
      February 16, 2019 / 2:52 am

Exactly, I am totally with you x

2. Melanie Poulos Walsh
    February 15, 2019 / 9:52 pm

Great tips! Our first was probably the most challenging to potty train, but I have a feeling it’s because of our pressure. It got so much easier with the other kids.

• Dani Shuttleworth
      Author
      February 16, 2019 / 2:52 am

I’m so glad to hear it got easier with the others. Maybe my second will be a bit quicker to train 🙂

3. thepagesandstagesblog
    February 16, 2019 / 12:48 am

This blog post came to me at the perfect time! My son is almost 2 (in a few months) and he is already showing interest. Thank you so much!

• Dani Shuttleworth
      Author
      February 16, 2019 / 2:51 am

Your welcome! Good luck with the transition!

4. February 16, 2019 / 1:07 am

I have 2.5 year old twins so this is super relevant to my life right now. They’ve really just started showing interest and they really enjoy reading “Everyone Poops” and “Once Upon a Potty.” We’ve been letting them lead and hoping that helps it to not be stressful!

• Dani Shuttleworth
      Author
      February 16, 2019 / 2:54 am

Ahh twins how lovely. But also massive good luck for the transition. It sounds harder having to do 2 but I agree with letting them lead the way and fingers crossed it will be a smooth ride 🙂

5. February 16, 2019 / 10:18 pm

We did the 3 day method and it totally worked! Great tips here

• Dani Shuttleworth
      Author
      February 17, 2019 / 3:13 am

Thank you! Wow 3 days, that is amazing!